About Us Admissions Academics Athletics Campus Life Alumni
 


 Home < About Us < Directions < Campus Facilities


Oglethorpe University's facilities are generally accessible to physically impaired students. All buildings on campus are equipped with either ramps or ground-floor entry. With the exception of Lupton Hall, the primary classroom and office buildings have elevators to all floors. Appointments with faculty members or administrators with inaccessible offices are scheduled in accessible areas. Only three classrooms are not accessible to those physically impaired. When appropriate, classes are reassigned so all classes are available to all students. All residence halls include accessible housing space.

Smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings at Oglethorpe University. This includes classrooms, offices, laboratories, meeting rooms, lounge areas, restrooms, corridors, stairwells, the Library, the Field House, the Schmidt Center, the Student Center, and any other interior spaces in buildings. An exception to the rule is provided for residents in the privacy of their residence hall rooms in select residence halls.

Learn more about Oglethorpe Housing

If you have a Maintenance Request, please contact the Physical Plant.

Conant Performing Arts Center
This new performing arts center, completed in 1997, is a four-story facility located adjacent to the Philip Weltner Library. It provides a home for classes in theatre and music for Oglethorpe's undergraduate liberal arts students. It houses a main stage theatre with seating for 500, a lobby, rehearsal and dressing rooms, an area for receptions, offices, and shipping and receiving facilities.

Dorough Field House
The Dorough Field House is the site of intercollegiate basketball and volleyball and large campus gatherings such as concerts and commencement exercises. Built in 1960, the structure underwent major renovation in 1979. The building is named for the late R. E. Dorough, a former Trustee of the University.

Goodman Hall
Goodman Hall was built in 1956 and renovated in 1970, when it was transformed from a men's residence hall into a women's residence hall. In 1997 it was again renovated to provide support services for students such as the Oglethorpe Café, and a computer laboratory. Also located in the building are the University's Information Technology Services, the administrative offices of the program in Certified Financial Planning, and the administrative offices of the evening degree program which offers programs for adult students: accelerated undergraduate and MAT degrees.

Goslin Hall
Goslin Hall, named in honor of Dr. Roy N. Goslin, the late Professor Emeritus of Physics, was completed in 1971 and houses the Division of Natural Sciences. Lecture halls and laboratories for biology, chemistry, and physics are located in the building. A new physics laboratory, made possible by a grant from the Olin Foundation, was opened in 1979. All laboratories were renovated in 1985 and again in 2001 when major reconstruction was completed in the interior of the building with the assistance of the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation and other major foundations, as well as a bequest from Eugene W. Ivy '49. A computer laboratory is also available for student use.

Hearst Hall
Phoebe Hearst Hall was built in 1915 in the handsome neo-Gothic architecture that dominates the Oglethorpe campus. The building is named in honor of Phoebe Apperson Hearst, the mother of William Randolph Hearst Sr.

It was renovated in the fall of 1972 as a classroom and faculty office building. Most classes, with the exception of science and mathematics, are held in this building, which is located directly across from Lupton Hall. Newly equipped multi-media classrooms include the Georgia Power Model Classroom.

The dominant feature of the building is the beautiful Great Hall, the site of many traditional and historic events at Oglethorpe. Located on the lower level of the building is the University Bookstore and the much-publicized Crypt of Civilization. The capsule was sealed on May 28, 1940, and is not to be opened until May 28, 8113.

Hearst Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hermance Stadium
Hermance Stadium was built in 1920 for the Oglethorpe football team.  It has since been turned into the home of Oglethorpe's baseball team.

Hermance Stadium is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Lupton Hall
Lupton Hall, built in 1920 and named in honor of John Thomas Lupton, was one of the three original buildings on the present Oglethorpe University campus. Renovated in 1973 and 1996, it contains primarily administrative offices, faculty offices, classrooms, and an auditorium for 300 persons. Administrative offices located in Lupton Hall include the President, Vice President for Business and Finance, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for Enrollment, Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations, Director of Admission, Director of Financial Aid, and the Registrar. The cast-bell carillon in the Lupton tower has 42 bells, which chime the quarter hours.

Lupton Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Oglethorpe University Museum of Art
Oglethorpe University Museum of Art, occupying the entire third floor of the Philip Weltner Library, opened in the spring of 1993 after extensive renovations of the previous Oglethorpe University Art Gallery. The museum, covering 7,000 square feet, has a comfortable, intimate environment that includes two spacious galleries, the Museum Gift Shop, and offices. It is considered an important cultural addition to Atlanta's growing art scene, drawing thousands of visitors each year.

In addition to the permanent collection, three exhibitions are held each year, which feature artwork that is international, representational, often figurative and spiritual in nature. Recent exhibitions such as "The Mystical Arts of Tibet: Featuring Personal Sacred Objects of the Dalai Lama" and "The Grand Tour: Landscape and Veduta Paintings, Venice and Rome in the 18th Century" have garnered national media attention and brought international art experts from around the world to lecture on campus. For museum hours and exhibit information, call (404) 364-8555.

J. Mack Robinson Hall
Newly renovated in 2001, J. Mack Robinson Hall is a state-of-the-art classroom and faculty office building, which also houses art studios, a darkroom, video editing facilities, a slide library and a resource center for study abroad.

Steve Schmidt Sport and Recreation Center
Dedicated in 1995, the Schmidt Center is a 22,000 square-foot addition to Dorough Field House. The Center has basketball and volleyball courts, a running track, seven offices, a conference room, locker rooms, a weight room, racquetball courts, a training room, and an entrance lobby. The facility is used primarily for recreation and intramural sports. The Center is named for Stephen J. Schmidt, Oglethorpe University alumnus of the class of 1940 and long-time member of the Board of Trustees, who personally led the fund-raising effort for the addition.

Sheffield Alumni Suite
The Sheffield Alumni Suite, adjacent to the Great Hall in Hearst Hall, is named in honor of O.K. Sheffield, a graduate of the class of 1953, a loyal supporter, and member of the Board of Trustees. Over the years this suite of rooms has served as a parlor, office of the provost, classroom, and meeting room. Today it provides an inviting space in which alumni, students, and faculty gather. Memorabilia is on display in the anteroom along with a portrait of its namesake.

Turner-Lynch Campus Center
The Turner-Lynch Campus Center is named in honor of Mrs. Belle Turner-Lynch, a graduate of the class of 1961 and member of the Board of Trustees since 1983. It is the "living room of campus", and houses student commons, the bookstore, student services, dining/food services, a coffee shop, and campus life administrative offices. It is also the home of the Atlanta Laboratory of Learning, or A-Lab, which is the hub for experiential learning, civic engagement, and international study.

Philip Weltner Library (Lowry Hall)
Located in Lowry Hall, the library functions as a gateway to research information and services in support of the University's academic programs. The library also serves as the University Archives and supports the extracurricular interests of Oglethorpe's community.

The library houses over 150,000 volumes consisting of books, reference materials, print periodicals, audio-visual materials, and microfilm. Two areas of note include a collection of more than 1,600 DVDs and a juvenile literature collection. In addition, the library provides campuswide computer access to the catalog, research databases and resources, GALILEO (Georgia's Virtual Library), and more than 13,000 full-text periodical titles. Many of the library's online resources are also available off campus. Services available to students include reference and instruction, circulation, course reserves, interlibrary-loan, and borrowing privileges at other consortium (Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education) libraries. A formal reading atrium, private rooms, individual carrels, and a 24-hour lounge offer ample opportunities for both quiet study and group work. Other equipment and facilities include computer workstations for library research, an Information Technology Services computer laboratory, two small media viewing rooms, the larger Earl Dolive Theatre, a photocopier, and a microfilm/fiche reader.

View the Library's web site.

Lowry Hall was built in 1927 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The library moved to its present location in 1972. A renovation in 1992 combined the building's original neo-Gothic exterior with a contemporary and greatly expanded interior. At that time, the library was named after Philip Weltner, who served as University President from 1944 to 1953. The Oglethorpe Museum of Art and the Learning Resources Center are also located in Lowry Hall.

Traer Residence Hall
Built in 1969, Traer Hall is a three-story freshmen residence that houses 168 students. Construction of the building was made possible through the generosity of the late Wayne S. Traer, Oglethorpe University alumnus of the class of 1928. The double occupancy rooms are arranged in suites, and open onto a central plaza courtyard.

Upper Quad Residence Halls
Constructed in 1968, these residences house both men and women. All rooms on the first and second floors are suites with private entrances and baths. Rooms on the third floor are traditional residence hall floors with a common bathroom.

Bowden and Magbee Residence Halls

The Bowden and Magbee Halls opened Fall 2005 and together house 164 students. Connected by a glass atrium, the four-story granite halls are built in Oglethorpe's unique Collegiate Gothic architectural style. Each apartment-style suite features four private bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchenette. Common facilities for the coed North and Magbee Halls include laundry rooms, a multimedia theater, a conference room with kitchen and a game room.

Dempsey Residence Hall
Opened in the spring of 1996, this residence hall is coed, non-smoking, and accommodates 73 students. It is designed as a more traditional facility with a central entrance. The rooms consist of two-, three-, and four-person suites off central hallways.

Jobe and Hansen Residence Halls

The Jobe and Hansen Halls opened Fall 2007 and together house 164 students. The four-story granite halls are built in Oglethorpe’s unique Collegiate Gothic architectural style. Each apartment-style suite features four private bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchenette. Common facilities for the coed Phase II Residence Hall include laundry rooms, a conference room with kitchen and a game room.

Greek Row
Greek Row consists of six houses devoted to three sororities, Alpha Sigma Tau, Chi Omega and Sigma Sigma Sigma, and three fraternities, Chi Phi, Kappa Sigma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Each house features one-bedroom doubles with a shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. The houses on Greek Row were constructed in 1994.

 

©2014 Oglethorpe University | 4484 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30319 | 404.261.1441 or 1.800.428.4484 | Privacy Policy