"I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word." -Emily Dickinson
B.A. in English and Comparative Literature
Minor in English and Comparative Literature (TU)
Minor in English (ADP
Language and literature: a universal subject. The English program at Oglethorpe explores literatures throughout the ages and around the globe, with particular focus on modern and contemporary literature, world literature, drama, Shakespeare, the novel, and creative writing. While other schools’ programs tend to focus primarily on British and American literature, Oglethorpe's curriculum pushes far beyond those boundaries, with a horizon-broadening emphasis on world literature and postcolonial narratives.
Our close-knit department is also a great benefit to students, who can get to know their classmates and their professors in a supportive yet intellectually challenging environment that encourages success. Student-focused instruction leads to stronger skills in writing, research, and critical thinking – valuable skills that pay off for a lifetime.
One exciting new course offering is Introduction to Literature and Cultural Studies, providing students a solid foundation in research methods, digital humanities, and writing skills. Not only does this help students excel during their time at Oglethorpe, it also offers a competitive edge in grad school.
With community connections from Atlanta to London, Oglethorpe is a perfect place to explore your love of language and turn ideas into action.
- Study abroad in London and get to know the works of "The Bard" in his native land, through the exceptional Shakespeare at Oxford summer program.
- Oglethorpe English students have completed internships at local literary gem Creative Loafingand indie trade book publisher Peachtree Publishing.
- Fostered by an environment of intellectual curiosity, students are supported in designing their own independent study courses for in-depth exploration of individual interests. Past projects have delved into topics like fantasy literature, children’s fiction, Russian literature, James Joyce, and more
- Passionate, curious, and motivated, Oglethorpe English majors demonstrate an outstanding mastery of their subject. In 2014, more than half our graduating class volunteered to take the Major Field Test (a 150-question test assessing knowledge of poetry, drama, and prose). Every one of our students rated in the 95th percentile or higher, compared to students nationwide.
Life After Oglethorpe
With their excellent skills in analysis and communication, English majors go on to build successful careers in a diverse selection of fields: advertising, business, education, editing, journalism, digital humanities, law, library sciences, museum work, publishing, and more.
- Recent alumni are enrolled in graduate programs in English, education, library sciences, and law, at prestigious institutions such as Columbia University, Emory University, Georgetown University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
View Sample Courses and Degree Requirements in the University Bulletin