Sam Flynn, '14 Editor-in-Chief
The Stormy Petrel is Oglethorpe University's campus newspaper,
established in 1919. Our mission is to provide students with relevant commentary and news. The Editor-in-Chief Sam Flynn is a junior majoring in Politics and minoring in Communications and Rhetoric Studies. Sam's future plans include graduate school in a political science program as well as continued involvement in journalism.
The Stormy Petrel has open journalism positions! Interested in being our photographer, copy editor or sports editor? Let us know! Or if you have questions or comments, submit your Letter to the Editor via Facebook!
The Stormy Petrel welcomes contributions from all students and faculty. No experience is necessary, and there is no application process; simply email an article to firstname.lastname@example.org. We currently publish a four page issue every two weeks, and we look forward to hearing from you. If you prefer to meet with a staff member, email us and arrange a visit; we have flexible meeting times. The Stormy Petrel office is located in Alumni Hall, Suite 22.
- 09-05-2008 - President Schall signs Amethyst Initiative; Best of Oglethorpe 2008
- 09-19-2008 - Faster Internet running late, on its way; Students react to
Café closure, dining schedule
- 10-03-2008 - Lazy weekends and hard-working weeknights: QuadFest, Bubbles and Brotherly Love, and Freshman Presidential Debates
- 10-24-2008 - South wing of NoSo dedicated as Magbee Hall; Students, professors brace for economic plunge
- 11-10-2008 - Students celebrate, adjust to presidential election results; Oglethorpe named 'College of Distinction' 2008-2009
- 11-21-2008 - OU alumnus visits campus for drunk driving program; Meet the 2008-2009 OSA freshman class officers!
- 12-05-2008 - Ticketing controversy dampens Boar's Head spirits; Female leaders visit OU for political roundtable
- 01-30-2009 - OU students travel to D.C. for the Inauguration; OU placed on warning status by SACS
- 02-16-2009 - Oglethorpe Day salutes a 'civically engaged' spirit; OU Jewish, Muslim students hope for peace on campus
- 03-13-2009 - Student-led accreditation meeting sparks discussion; Library scheduled to temporarily cut Sunday hours
- 04-03-2009 - Happy April Fools' Day!
- 04-20-2009 - Liberal Arts & Sciences Symposium showcases student work; Acclaimed poet Linda Bierds visits Oglethorpe
- 05-01-2009 - Fowle exits post as VP of Business and Finance; Dr. Douglas McFarland leave OU with an imprint
- 08-31-2007 - Antebellum
diary returned to Oglethorpe; Phase I of the Quality Enhancement
- 09-21-2007 - Oglethorpe
launches "new look" of campus, website; Feed America Music
Foundation hosts first benefit
- 10-19-2007 - Report: This year's freshman class more diverse; Sewage questions still unanswered
- 11-16-2007 - Certified Wildlife Reserve Space designated at OU; Dr. Jane Davis remembered at memorial service
- 12-7-2007 - Plans for Town Brookhaven to use Oglethorpe land; OASIS introduced in limited form for 2007-2008
- 2-15-2008 - Faculty, trustee committee searches for new Provost; JEO brings promising students to campus
- 3-07-2008 - Changes to schedule times creates possibilities; President Schall responds to questions about SACS
- 4-4-2008 - Happy April Fools' Day!
- 5-10-2008 - Congratulations Class of 2008!