All lost and found items will be kept in a secure location until the owner claims them. Neither Campus Safety nor Oglethorpe University are responsible for Lost and Found items that are not logged into the Lost and Found logbook. Oglethorpe’s Lost and Found procedures are as follows:
- Turn lost items in to Lost and Found as soon as possible, lost items found in academic buildings should be turned in to the Lupton switchboard or the gatehouse.
- Items of value such as wallets, purses, keys, backpacks and electronic devices will be immediately forwarded to Campus Safety. If the lost item includes any identifying information, Campus Safety will attempt to contact the owner directly. Unclaimed property and unidentifiable property will be logged in the Lost and Found logbook.
- Items of lesser value such as notebooks, umbrellas and articles of clothing will also be entered into the logbook and placed in a locked location.
- Lost and Found items will be stored in a locked location, accessible only to authorized individuals.
- Unclaimed student IDs will be forwarded to Campus Life after one week. If unclaimed from Campus Life, the ID will be destroyed. Other unclaimed IDs such as driver’s license or state IDs will be mailed to the designated address after one week. Credit cards, bank cards and checks will be returned to the issuing company after 15 days.
- In an attempt to ensure lost items are returned to the rightful owners, persons claiming items will be asked to describe the items and to provide identification. Claimants must sign for items before the items will be released to them.
If there is an emergency, Campus Safety is available at ext. 1998 (404.504.1998 from off campus).
- Items in Lost and Found not claimed by the end of each semester will be donated to a local charity.