Study Abroad in Japan

Oglethorpe Exchange Programs

Other Study Abroad Opportunities

Summer Programs

Financial Assistance

Getting Ready to Go

Oglethorpe Exchange Programs in Japan

Oglethorpe students are eligible to study in a one-year program at either of our two partner institutions in Japan.

Year Abroad at Otaru University

Seigakuin Japan Studies Program

Students can study at partner schools in Japan at no additional cost in tuition. Fees for room and board in Japan are arranged by the host institution. In addition to federal and state aid, students are eligible an International Grant. The International Grant reduces by half the tuition balance after financial aid has been deducted for the term. YOUC students may be eligible for additional financial support through JASSO.

For general information about study abroad at Oglethorpe, see the OUSA web page:


Other Study Abroad Opportunities

Non-partner programs offer a variety of opportunities for study throughout Japan. The following sites provide useful information:

J.F. Oberlin Reconnaissance Japan Program
Excellent program -- 30% tuition reduction for Oglethorpe Students

CIEE Center at Sophia University

IES Nagoya

Kansai Gaidai

Temple University in Japan

UNESCO Information on Study Abroad and Scholarship Opportunities in Japan


Summer Programs

Summer programs are often a good option for those whose course requirements require them to be at Oglethorpe during the fall and spring semesters. Below are some recommended programs.

Sophia University Summer Session in Asian Studies

Princeton in Ishikawa

IES Tokyo Summer


Financial Assistance

Students wishing to study abroad in Japan on programs other than those offered at Oglethorpe's two partner institutions may be eligible for a number of scholarships offered by foundations, companies and government organizations.

Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship for Undergraduate Study Abroad

National Security Education Program Boren Undergraduate Scholarships

Freeman Awards for Study in Asia




Getting Ready to Go

Once you have been accepted by your host institution you will need to submit proof of acceptance to Dr. Jeffrey Collins, Study Abroad Coordinator. Dr. Collins will guide you through the registration process. See the OUSA Procedures page for details.

In order to study in Japan you will need a passport and a visa. Once you are admitted to a program, you will send a form to your host institution. They will obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the regional immigration authority and send it to you. This process can take several months, so it is important to submit the form and supporting materials as early as possible. When you get your Certificate of Eligibility you will take it to the Japanese Consulate in Atlanta to receive your visa.

You will also want to look into getting traveller's insurance. There are several reputable providers. One that students have used in the past is MEDEX.

Below are some sites that will help you plan and prepare for you trip to Japan.

On-Line Cultural Training

The Japan FAQ: Know Before You Go

At Home in Japan