Oglethorpe University’s facilities are generally accessible
to physically impaired students. All buildings on campus are
equipped with either ramps or ground-floor entry. With the
exception of Lupton Hall, the primary classroom and office
buildings have elevators to all floors. Only three classrooms are
not accessible to those physically impaired. All residence halls include
accessible housing space.
Smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings at Oglethorpe
University. This includes classrooms, offices, laboratories, meeting
rooms, lounge areas, restrooms, corridors, stairwells, the
Library, the Field House, the Schmidt Center, the Student
Center and any other interior spaces in buildings.
Performing Arts Center
This four-story performing arts center, completed in 1997,
features a 500-seat main stage theatre, dressing rooms,
rehearsal space and a spacious lobby, great for lectures or
receptions. Conant is home to Georgia Shakespeare in
addition to hosting productions by Oglethorpe's theatre and
music departments. Availability is limited.
Dorough Field House
Home to Stormy Petrel basketball and volleyball and the
rain location for Oglethorpe's graduation ceremony, the Dorough
Field House can accommodate 500 fans in the bleachers or concert-style seating. Built in 1960 and renovated in 1979
and 2005, the building is named for the late R. E. Dorough, a former Trustee of the
Oglethorpe's science building includes 3 classrooms, a
computer lab, lounge and laboratories. Built in 1971, the
building was renovated in 1985 and 2001.
Built in 1915 and listed on the National Register of
Historic Places, Hearst contains 15 classrooms, the
university bookstore and the Great Hall. Classrooms seat
between 15 and 40 while the Great Hall can accommodate up to
Hermance Stadium, listed on the National Register of
Historic Places, was built in 1920 and is home to Oglethorpe's baseball team.
The stadium can seat 5,000 people, great for athletic events
or concerts. Anderson Field is also available for athletic
events or training camps.
Lupton Hall, built in 1920 and named in honor of John
Thomas Lupton, was one of the three original buildings on
the present Oglethorpe University campus and is listed on
the National Register of Historic Places. The building
includes three classrooms, which can seat 15 to 40, and the
300-seat Lupton Auditorium. The auditorium is well-suited
for lectures, theatrical productions or film screenings.
Oglethorpe University Museum of Art
Oglethorpe University Museum of Art, on the third floor of the Philip Weltner Library,
includes 7,000 square feet of gallery space. It is a a comfortable, intimate
environment with two spacious galleries and the Museum
J. Mack Robinson Hall
Newly renovated in 2001, J. Mack Robinson Hall is a
state-of-the-art classroom and faculty office building,
which also houses art studios, a darkroom, video editing
facilities, a slide library and a resource center for study
abroad. The three classrooms can seat up to 35 people.
Steve Schmidt Sport and Recreation Center
Dedicated in 1995, the Schmidt Center is a 22,000
square-foot addition to Dorough Field House. The center has
basketball and volleyball courts, a running track, conference room, locker rooms, a weight room, racketball courts, a training room
and an entrance lobby.
Sheffield Alumni Suite
The Sheffield Alumni Suite, adjacent to the Great Hall
in Hearst Hall, is named in honor of O.K. Sheffield, a
graduate of the class of 1953, a loyal supporter, and member
of the Board of Trustees. It provides an inviting space in
which alumni, students and faculty gather. Memorabilia is
on display in the anteroom along with a portrait of its
Turner-Lynch Campus Center
The Turner-Lynch Campus Center is named
in honor of Mrs. Belle Turner-Lynch, a graduate of the class of 1961 and member of the Board of Trustees since 1983. It is
the "living room of campus", and houses student commons, the bookstore, student
services, dining/food services, a coffee shop, and campus life administrative
Philip Weltner Library (Lowry Hall)
The library features a formal reading atrium, two small
viewing rooms and the Earl Dolive Theatre. Lowry Hall was
built in 1927 and is on the National Register of Historic
Places. It was renovated in 1992.
Traer Residence Hall
Built in 1969, Traer Hall is a three-story residence with
168 beds.The double occupancy rooms are arranged in
suites, and open onto a central plaza courtyard.
Upper Residence Quadrangle
Constructed in 1968, these residences feature private
entrances and baths on the first and second floors; the
third floors are traditional residence halls with a common bathroom.
and Magbee Residence Halls
The Bowden and Magbee Halls opened in Fall 2005
and together house 164 beds. Each apartment-style suite
features four private bedrooms, two bathrooms and a
Dempsey Residence Hall
Opened in the spring of 1996, this residence hall has a
central entrance and 73 beds. The rooms consist of two-, three- and four-person
suites off central hallways.
Jobe and Hansen Residence Halls
The Jobe and Hansen Halls opened in Fall 2007 and together house 144 students. Each apartment-style suite features four private bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchenette.