Petey's Green Tips
The Initiative strives to help Oglethorpe University (OU) and its community to become more sustainable through education and best management practices.
The initiative strives to fulfill its mission by:
• reducing OU’s burden on the environment
• supporting the campus recycling program
• positioning OU as a model citizen in the Atlanta community
• providing a basis for seeking grants and donations in support of needed changes in curriculum, operations, and facilities;
• reducing the cost of OU operations,
• encouraging the creation and implementation of curricula that promote awareness of the environment and sustainability, and
• responding to growing applicant and student interest in the environment and sustainability.
Resources for achieving goals
To achieve its goals, the Initiative will draw upon resources including:
• the Board of Trustees (to provide guidance for longterm investments and administration);
• the managers of the physical plant (to identify and implement short run opportunities and long run investment needs);
• the faculty (to develop new courses and pedagogies in existing and new courses using an interdisciplinary approach);
• the Center for Civic Engagement (to help network with regional organizations, offer logistical support for recycling, and provide a meeting place);
• the students (to identify, assess and help to implement sustainability-oriented practices through course work, on campus activities, and civic engagement); and
• Atlanta businesses, non-profits and other universities (to provide resources and opportunities for students to gain practical knowledge and experience in sustainable practices).
The Initiative will meet from noon to 1 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month.