Petey's Green Tips
Fast Fact--> If everyone on campus shutdown, slept, or hibernated their desktop computer when it was not in use, the university would save at least 163kWh and $6704 per semester*… not to mention externalities associated with energy production.
Please do your part to conserve energy on campus by following these simple rules:
- Walk, bike, bus, ride the train, or rideshare to and from campus
- Set the thermostat low (68°) in winter and high (78°) in summer
- Do not use space heaters
- Unplug chargers for electronics when they are not in use
- Use power strips to switch off electronics when not in use
- Enable the power management features on your computer
- Turn off lights when you leave a room
- Use energy efficient light bulbs
- Take shorter, cooler showers
- Recycle as much of your waste as possible
- Buy products that contain or use less packaging
- Support policies for energy conservation and development/use of renewable energy source
*Assumes 85W to idle a desktop computer (without monitor), $0.0083/kWh for energy cost, 40hr/wk operation of computer rather than 168hr/wk, a 15 week semester, and 445 desktop computers (a conservative estimate) on campus.